The Alter-G Anti-Gravity Treadmill is an innovative rehabilitation and training treadmill that was developed by NASA and allows users to walk or run at a designated percentage of bodyweight.
By using differential air pressure, the treadmill reduces body weight to between 20% and 100%, allowing you to walk or run with reduced stress on your lower body. It is safe, comfortable and still promotes normal running or walking patterns. Combine this with the gait technique Camera’s we and you have a great rehab and training tool that has a multitude of benefits.
10 Great reasons to use the Alter-G:
1. Return to Running or Walking or Hiking sooner after injury.
Many injuries, especially bone injuries, can be loaded earlier after injury if forces are reduced. The Alter-G makes this possible. Return to walking or running following bone fractures, stress fractures, shin splints, tendon pathology, foot pain & many other injuries can occur sooner in the rehab pathway using the Alter-G.
2. You don’t have to be injured to benefit from the Alter-G: non-injured runners can add extra’s training km’s without the same impact load, so it’s great for Recovery or Additional Training Loads.
The benefits of unloading running for injury recovery are obvious, but you don’t have to be injured to benefit from reduced load running. Running in a redcued-load environment reduces the load on the lower limbs which has shown several benefits. For example, pre- or post-marathon or ultra-running or Ironman triathlon, running with reduced impact forces will reduce soreness.
3. For those runners who get injured easily running overground, Alter-G supplementary sessions at reduced body weight forces are prefect to help you add run volume with reduced risk of injury compared to running overground
4. Develop your Barefoot Running for improved running strength and technique
The Alter-G Treadmill belt is a great surface to train on to strengthen you feet and with reduced body-weight forces, Alter-G is perfect for improving your run technique with some barefoot running. For more information about the benefits of Barefoot running, read here
5. Improve your Run or Walk Technique with use of the gait Camera’s
We have camera’s located at the front, rear and side of the Alter-G treadmill so you can watch your lower limb technique when running. Combine this with some great technique cures from our experienced Physio’s or Exercise Physiologists and you will be running more efficiently and with less pain in no time
6. Older bodies may be able Continue running or walking longer into your life, even with conditions such as Arthritis and reduce the risk of falls
Exercise programs have long been considered the cornerstone of falls prevention programs. Exercise aims to increase flexibility and strength, improve proprioception and balance, and develop co-ordination and agility. There is evidence that a moderate exercise program can help reduce falls. The enclosed structure of the Alter-G treadmill enables individuals to exercise in a safe and comfortable environment, hence providing a valuable tool in their falls prevention program
7. Earlier mobility post-surgery in a safe environment
Early mobilisation after surgery can help orientate healing tissue fibres, reduce scar tissue, prevent muscular deconditioning, improve joint range of motion and promote early independence and confidence .
8. Accelerated weight-loss for those who have difficulty running or walking
Lose weight and exercise more intensively without the stress on the body. The American College of Sports Medicine recommends more than 150 minutes per week of moderate to intense physical activity may be needed for weight loss
9. You can Book Your Treadmill Sessions online at www.mygcphysio.com.au
10. Physio health fund rebates may be available for use of the Alter-G
Ring Gold Coast Physio & Sports Health on (07) 5500 6470, or chat to your Therapist in clinic about how the Alter-G can benefit you, and Book an “Introduction to Alter-G” Appointment.
This appointment takes 30min and is conducted by one of our experienced Physio’s or Exercise Physiologists & will ensure you are medically safe to use the Alter-G, and then Orientate you on how to use it safely and correctly. The cost of this appointment is listed below under ‘costs’ and health fund rebates may be available.
Once you have been Introduced to the Alter-G Gold Coast, you can book: online through our website (Book Appointment); by phoning the clinic; or book at frontdesk when in the clinic.
Alter-G session appointments are booked as:
-up to 20min
-up to 40min
-up to 60min
-or up to 80min timeslots
Alter-G session costs
Alter-G Treadmill sessions can be purchased:
- casually ‘as-you-go’
- as a 6 or 12 session pass at discount rates
- as an unlimited 4wks use
Health fund rebates may be available for all Alter-G run sessions.
Costs available here